Monday 31 December 2012

Ayo Rey - Dope by Tha Joker was definitely my favourite song on your list

Kinda feel like Tha Joker didn't really capture the song's lugubrious essence in the video, though, bruv, as it surely called for him to channel Juelz et Jim by sitting in the middle of his block pretending to tinkle the ivories and/or gallivanting around with a child's umbrella in the rain on said block :

"I'm gone off xanax and codeine
my momma tellin' me I'm a dope fiend"


Tha Joker - Dope
(From The Phenom album; 2011)


Other blogs would pro'lly describe this as Future without the frequencies or a bigger budget interpretation of one of Foxx's blackout-ballads, but here at The Martorialist the whole damn team agree that Dope is more like the new Sober by Jae Millz : i.e. what happens when a fairly generic punchline Rapper accidentally chances on an incredible piano-laden beat that's way too good for him, realises his plebian ass is way outta its depth and strives for something more transcendental; the something more transcendental in this instance being a soundtrack for dejected strippers to wipe the tears from their eyes with crumpled $5 bills as they're spreading their puckered brown eyes wide open.

5 comments:

Amor De Rey said...

My Money Up, So Watchu Down 4?

Video looks like they shot it with 2 Cold fresh out the joint. Note that his ribs are showing compared to when he was lamenting with 'Lito in the "Hoe Problems" documentary.

Probably rushed something out to regain the momentum he had going before getting locked up. He's going to need a whole new mixtape to garner a buzz again (which he has coming: The Explanation) but we'll see if he can rebound on this or just release a nothing-ass mixtape like Young Dolph did/ does/ will probably do forever.

Since my list railroaded you into listening to Ace Hood, how long is it going to take me to sucker you into playing that Dom Kennedy record? If you can pretend that he is King Tee's newphew or something, The Yellow Album plays pretty well.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I didn't really get the love for My Type Of Party, but I did quite like Girls On Stage. Will give the 'tape a whirl.

Fosterakahunter said...

Fam, this suxx.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

"Daydreamin' 'bout money and power
the team blastin' on hoes, #babyshower!"

done said...

AYO AYO AYO AYO can someone please direct me to a good Young Dolph tape?

I feel like he could be my Jeezy-ish Soulja Boy but Ive slogged through like 3 tapes and Im yet to hear the redeeming banger. Hes a dab hand with the adlibs though.