Tuesday 12 December 2017

2017's best non-rap songs IMO

Beanie Sigel didn't do much, in 2017 non-rap music didn't do much for ya host. Whether this was down to me or the music is up for debate, but a buncha my favourite artists of recent years didn't deliver in 2017: Spice fired blanks all year; Kwamz & Flava dropped a string of forgettable singles; Dexta Daps seemed to run out of catchy choonz; Tinashe ain't made shit dope since Touch Pass in 2016; Shift K3Y's best song of 2017 was merely aiight; and New Age Muzik are still stuck in Two Song Wonder limbo.

Weird thing is, I wasn't particularly arsed because it just meant the songs I loved felt like they were minor miracles, and it gave me more time to go back and discover/rediscover gems from the past. Here's 20 songs which I truly, madly, deeply lurved this year; no order of preference but Tove Lo's Disco Tits is by far my favorite 2017 song of the non-rap variety innit:


Favourite non-rap songs of 2017:
Tove Lo - Disco Tits
Fifth Harmony - He Like That
Ty Dolla $ign - Message In A Bottle
Jacquees & Dej Loaf - At The Club
Busy Signal - Go Again
Wande Coal & DJ Tunez - Iskaba
Diron Animal - Don't Stop
Donae'o - Black/Bounce (Social Circles Remix)
Jorja Smith - On My Mind
The Style Council - Long Hot Summer (Chuggz Refix)

Favourite non-rap song discoveries/rediscoveries of 2017:
The Phantom - Love Me (1960)
Al Green - Dream (1977)
The Brat - Leave Me Alone (1980)
Haircut 100 - Ski Club (1982)
Fun Boy Three - Best Of Luck Mate (1982)
Ago - Stop Your Life (1982)
Junei - Let's Ride (1987)
George Michael - Kissing A Fool (1987)
Wamdue Kids - Hypnotize (1995)
Tove Lo - Bitches (2016)

Warning: do not click that Tove Lo Bitches link if you're in work/on public transport/chillin' with your kid.

11 comments:

Smell Rell said...

Gone by 5th Harmony bangs too

Jmil843 said...

No "Pineapple Skies" by Miguel? also i know Tinashe is mad as hell that SZA is on the same label and got huge this year even though i think CTRL is vastly overrated (obviously it helps that one of the most popular rappers on Earth is her labelmate so she gets a lot of residual fans from the TDE stans). That whole Tove Lo album is dope IMO.

Unknown said...

@Smell Rell that 5th Harmony album is pretty solid.

Lucas K said...

"I'm not a poptimist BUT..." tag lmao

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I haven't heard that Miguel song.

This is an honourable mention: Leg Over by Mr. Eazi.

Ray Garraty said...

my annual rant: where is black metal?

Yohan said...

Love the Wande Coal track. Have also been listening to Leg Over since it dropped and it still amuses me, without fail. I feel it has been a good year for afrobeats or similar music.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Metal has been dead since the O.G Danzig lineup split imho.

Corolla CLub said...

That Jacquees and Dej Loaf track might be my most listened to song of the year to be honest. You're the only person I ever actually see cover Jacquess (maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places).

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I thought Jacquees was done after Birdman convinced him to start rapping like Young Thug for a while there.

Dank said...

Dlad to see the Black remix in an eoy post